Video and News Intern- New York
This is an exciting opportunity to work on the front lines of LGBTQ advocacy and video production—ensuring that coverage creating content about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people is fair, accurate and inclusive. The Video and News Intern will work directly with GLAAD's Program's team under the supervision of the Video Production Manager and is primarily responsible for: creation and production of GLAAD's original videos and news content on GLAAD's web site, writing posts for GLAAD's Newsroom, transcribing video interviews on a deadline, and other tasks as assigned. The intern will also collaborate with the rest of the Programs team on numerous other media activities including brainstorming, strategic story pitching, and creating campaigns that accelerate LGBTQ acceptance.
The successful applicant will:
- An extremely positive attitude
- A demonstrated interest in advocacy work around LGBTQ and progressive issues, progressive communications or journalism.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Proficiency in basic filming (GLAAD shoots on a Canon EOS 5D DSLR Camera)
- Proficiency with video editing using Adobe Premiere or Avid, word processing, database work, email and Internet research
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.
- The ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities, sexual and gender identities.
- A willingness to learn, grow and be inspired to greatness.
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid and must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
3. Two examples of videos that you have directed/produced/edited.
The title of the position (such as "Video & News Intern") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.