Programs Internship- New York
GLAAD's Programs Intern will work closely with the Director of Programs and the Programs team to support GLAAD's various media programs. The Programs Intern is primarily responsible for conducting research, writing blog posts, maintaining databases, organizing materials, and other tasks as assigned, as well as providing research support for the various initiatives. GLAAD's programs currently focus on expanding programming and amplifying voices for LGBT equality via our Global Voices and Southern Stories media campaigns. The intern will also collaborate with the Director of Programs on numerous other media activities including brainstorming, strategic story pitching for high-profile national media outlets, and responding to problematic and defamatory news coverage.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in progressive communications, local and grassroots activism or advocacy work around issues of LGBT equality.
- Specialization in one of the focus areas – Global Voices or Southern Stories – considered a plus.
- Those with experience in journalism, communications or grassroots advocacy or organizing are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Some experience and a working knowledge and understanding of the media and its history of covering trans issues a plus.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Internet research skills
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
The title of the position (such as “Programs Intern”) MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.