Coordinator, GLAAD Media Institute
The GLAAD Media Institute is a research-driven division of GLAAD Inc., working to engage, educate and train business leaders, media professionals and the next generation of activists to accelerate the acceptance of LGBTQ people and other marginalized communities through the broad media spectrum. Drawing on over 30 years of experience, the GLAAD Media Institute shares best practices and proprietary research findings with individuals and organizations around the world, including corporations, journalists, news organizations, film studios, and television networks, as well as content creators, activists and advocates of all kinds of expertise who advocate for and promote positive cultural change. The GLAAD Media Institute also offers assistance in managing messaging, crisis communications and informed storytelling.
GLAAD's Media Institute Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Institute, participating in GLAAD’s mission to accelerate acceptance for the LGBTQ community in the United States and around the world. Working under the supervision of a director-level Institute employee, the Media Institute Coordinator will be responsible for the ongoing development, implementation and evaluation of the Institute’s training, research, and educational endeavors.
The ideal candidate for this position should be personable, professional, and flexible, with the ability to multitask and adapt to the changing needs of the position. Comfort interacting with a variety of people is a must. Most importantly, we're looking for someone with a positive attitude and a genuine interest in our role as a powerful voice for our community.
- Coordinate key elements of training, scheduling, marketing, and fundraising
- Facilitate training recruitment and registration
- Work with partner organizations to host trainings
- Under the direction of supervisor, handle Institute-related content on the GLAAD website
- Research and implement web training functions
- Track activity of Institute training alumni
- Draft, as requested, actions/success stories from participants for GLAAD’s website
- General administration
- On occasion, may lead media training sessions
- Other duties as assigned
- Required: At least two years of work within the LGBTQ movement, news media, communications, education, or related field.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in media, education, communication studies, public relations, human rights or related field, or equivalent experience
- Required: Excellent project management skills
- Required: Excellent organizational skills
- Required: Excellent professional writing skills
- Preferred: Understanding of nonprofit organizations very helpful
- Ability to influence and work with a wide array of personalities
- Experience in planning and implementing public (educational) events
- Experience (professional or volunteer) working within an LGBTQ or human rights organization
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Strong Computer Skills, including Microsoft office and internet research
The Coordinator, GLAAD Media Institute reports to a director-level employee of the Institute
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include: 403(b) retirement plan; escalating vacation beginning with three weeks+; Paid sick, personal days and holidays; and organization-paid health benefits for employees including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, flexible work arrangements, employee assistance program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
To be considered for this position please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
- GLAAD does not have the ability at this time to provide sponsorship for this position.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to candidates.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass both financial and criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.